4/18/12

my career



one day last week
when i was feeling particularly low--
overwhelmed with my limitations and feelings of failure as a mom
 this quote arrived in the mail;
sent to me by mark's grandmother
it was just the encouragement i needed
and a reminder of God's specific care
as He spoke to me from a very unexpected place


"To be Queen Elizabeth within a definite area,
deciding sales, banquets, labors and holidays;
to be Whiteley withing a certain area,
providing toys, boots, sheets, cakes and books;
to be Aristotle within a certain area,
teaching morals, manners, theology and hygiene:
I can understand how this might exhaust the mind,
but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it.
How can it be a larger career 
to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three
and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe?
How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, 
and narrow to be everything to someone?
No: a woman's function is laborious
but because it is gigantic,
not because it is minute."
GK Chesterson


3 comments:

  1. This is precious and so is your lil girly! Can't wait to see her in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the feelings of failure as a mom -- but you are far from that!

    ReplyDelete